I have begun my blog to raise awareness to the chronic disease Endometriosis. I would like my blog to be a source of information on all aspects of this disease - whether that be surgery, treatment or the day-to-day aspects of living with this condition. I have created a Video Blog to work along side this to discuss a whole variety of issues.

Friday 9 March 2012

Physio Session 1:

Well, I had my first physio session yesterday and have a lot more info as to what has been the issue with my back. Also as to why my bowels keep shutting down.
Basically the the muscles in my back have seized, locked tight and have pretty much stopped working. I also have some nerve damage from my Endo, and my surgeries.

All of the muscles are so tight it is that that is making mobility and general movement so hard. But things can be eased and hopefully back to being fully functional again.
Where the muscles in my lower back have been not working this is what has cause my digestive tract to be so slow or stop fully, as the muscles have not been working to move things along. Resulting in shut down. This is why I was having to take so many laxatives every day.

The nerve issues is what is causing my lack of sensation in my back, bum cheek, thigh, leg and foot. Some have got trapped within these muscles and some are more on the damaged side.

I am going to need about 8-12 weeks of therapy to get things going again. I have exercises I must do at home 3 times a day. Within my pain threshold to start and then over the coming weeks - will go through my pain threshold to build them up and make them stronger.

My physio was really very good and explained everything so well. I am really lucky. He will also do some deep tissue work next week to aid the loosening of the muscles... I know that is really going to hurt! But I also know it will help.

The main reason for this happening is down to my Endo it seems... all the inflammation and being hospital so much, being laid up seems to have had this effect.

Well at least I finally have an understanding of what is going on... and if I stick to my plans as given, I should see the benefits gradually. I know I am a bad patient generally and I do expect recovery quick and I tend to push myself to recovery quicker than I should - but I must be careful with this. I don't want to cause any more damage or anything that this going to cause long term pain. I will always have some nerve trouble. Alas, once that has gone, it is pretty much gone... But mobility will be returned!! and the walking stick will be banished!!

So all in all a pleasing day... if somewhat exhausting!! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment